Sunday, December 4, 2011

What is the difference between available balance and current balance?

I was paid by amazon and the (ACH) payment was deposited in my account at midnight last night. What I'm wondering though is that my current balance is about $1.62, so I can't buy anything obviously. My AVAILABLE balance is much higher, so can I make purchases yet against the account? Or will it bounce or will I go into overdraft?|||Current balance is everything that has been posted to your account and is what is officially available. The available balance represents things that haven't officially posted but will be likely by the next business day. If you deposit a check but things aren't processed until the end of the business day, you would have a current balance of $1.62 and an available balance of $1.62 + the check amount. It would also work the same if you had a balance of $100.00 and you paid an $85 bill. Making your current $100 and your available $15.



EDIT:

While I wont say it with absolute certainty, I believe that other charges made to your account will go into your available balance total because they too will be recognized by the bank today but processed the following business day. The available balance represents transactions that have been reported to the bank but have not been processed. One cause is that things were attempted to post past the allotted posting time so it is pushed off until the next business day. Another cause, especially with deposited checks, is that checks can take up to a week to officially clear. However, I believe that the available balance reflects what is supposed to clear at the start of the next business day. It's what is available to you right now. If I were you I would buy whatever it is I need based upon the available balance which, in my experience, is almost always lower than my current (and I check my balance frequently).



Unless it is urgent that you access the money you just deposited, you could always wait to see how your bank handles the transactions as they are not always consistent with check deposits. The bank I worked at would sometimes hold checks for an entire week before posting it to an account while other times would make it available almost immediately. This being on the same person's account from the same employer. You could also call or visit the bank to find out their specific policies to ensure you aren't going to spend something that you don't yet have.|||The difference between current and available differ from bank to bank. For example, at my bank the available balance is what you have in there now to draw from. The current balance is what you will have once your deposit clears and becomes available.


At a bank I used to work for, the available was what you have now to access and current was what you had at the start of the business day before any debits were made.


If you're unsure, it's best to call and ask your bank.|||The Amazon deposit will NOT post until TONIGHT. It is not included in your current balance because it was received AFTER close of business FRIDAY (the last business day). Because the bank actually has the money, it is included in your available balance. This is what you can actually spend without over-drafting your account.|||i dont think so hun. i think you should wait til you get paid cause if your with a bank that belongs to a corperation like Bank of America or one of the big guys theyll charge you like 30 somethin bucks for overdrafting and the 6 everyday you dont put that money back. i did that with union bank back in the day and i ended up owin them like 100 somethin in just a week so by the time my check was deposited in my account half my paycheck was gone cause of late and processin fees|||avaible. how much you can acess, right now,


cureent is how much you have inyour whole account

No comments:

Post a Comment